Friday, May 2, 2008

My Trials and Errors...

I don't know if its only me, but usually when I go to the grocery store (mainly Walmart), I have a list, which I try sticking to.. but I always end up enhancing it. Lets say I decide to buy a box cake, the one where you just add water,oil, and eggs. Its either I might scrap that idea and go completely homemade or buy extra items to add to my box cake. *At this point, I honestly did not know that I could add apricot juice in stead of water, to a lemon cake.. which enhaces the flavor, and I usually toss in some sour cream so it can be extra moist. So by this time, when a cake was suppose to be 20 to 30 minutes, its now 45 to an hour of bake time. I must admit, walmart has a pretty good selection of things in their baking isle and Wilton section. And, the wilton section is another story, I purchased these over sized Jumbo cupcake pans and also bought wiltons fondant. Now as far as the knowledge of fondant goes, the only experience or closes I've gotten to it, was by watching the Food Network. But Im always up for a challenge, and anyhow, the box comes with directions.. lol.

FROM WIKIPEDIA, The ENCYCLOPEDIA
Fondant-
is basically sugar and water cooked to a certain point, cooled slightly and stirred or beaten until it is a creamy consistency. Fondant is a cream confection use for fillings, or coating for cakes, pastries, and sweets.

Well, the experience went good, you can add food color gel to the fondant, or you can buy already colored fondant. One thing that I know is that you can't wet it to much, and you have to knead in the color really well, and with a rolling pin, roll it out and cover cakes or cupcakes. Put it like this, its the adult version of Play Doh!


Above, are pictures of my green and blue fondant covered Jumbo cupcakes, the green one is decorated with green fondant leaves.. its suppose to be like grass and the butterfly on top is just doing what butterflies do. The next one, was suppose to represent the sky, and the cookie stars, are the stars in the sky, and the bear is just enjoying the midnight view. As far as the cupcakes, it was just a plain yellow cake, my main agenda was to experiment with the fondant and get accustomed to using it.

0 comments: